Re: Flat Earth?

From: Jim Armstrong <jarmstro@qwest.net>
Date: Tue Nov 22 2005 - 22:19:20 EST

I suppose this is self-evident (and this previous post sort of touches
on it), but it is unlikely that there was a single view in the period,
or in any period. It does not take a great mind for a sailor to have
some sense that there is a curvature of large bodies of water. Sailors
over any significant distance would probably take it for granted that
there was some curvature. Whether they would extrapolate that to an
entire spherical earth is an uncertainty. That's a big step.
On the other hand, there would undoubtedly be others (landlubbers) who
might adhere to a flat land mass. Some particularly thoughtful
landlubbers might talk to sailors and have their flat earth surmises
nuanced by the sailors observations. It's still quite a step to infer a
spherical earth.
My only point here is that at any given time, there was probably no
single view, and to seek one to ascribe to the period is problematical.
Or so it seemeth to me. JimA