Re: Flat Earth?

From: <Dawsonzhu@aol.com>
Date: Tue Nov 22 2005 - 21:31:00 EST

> > A while back, someone recommended the book 'Inventing the Flat Earth"
> > by Jeffrey Burton Russell. Russell seeks to show that the commonly
> > held notion that the "medievals" believed in a flat Earth is a
> > historical invention of the 19th and 20th century. I found the book
> > extremely intriguing but must remain skeptical - his arguments are
> > very convincing but it is hard for me to accept that his "Flat Error"
> > (as he calls it) has been willingly propagated for so long without
> > anyone crying foul. If true, this must rank as one of the most
> > outrageous "historical hoaxes" of the last 200 years - willfully
> > permitted to persist by the academia! Can anyone recommend other
> > references on this topic?

Actually, it would not surprise me particularly. What better pretext
to play upon than our own pride and arrogance. You see....., well,
perhaps they were not stupid, but we.... well, we, of course,
know far more.

If I remotely recall (IIRR), the Greeks had measured the circumference
of the earth by a simple sundial. Perhaps the queen of Spain thought
the earth was flat, but as I understand it, many sailors were already aware
that the earth was _at least_ curved. If they were actually afraid, it was
more
likely because they were in uncharted waters. That would be quite a
reasonable
fear for any normal human being.