Fwd: Flat Earth?

From: Keith Miller <kbmill@ksu.edu>
Date: Tue Nov 22 2005 - 20:36:04 EST

The following was posted to the ACG listserve and I thought that I
would bounce it here. I have some limited knowledge of this, but
thought that it would be best to let the historians in the group give
their response. i will forward comments to the ACG list.

Keith

Begin forwarded message:

> A while back, someone recommended the book 'Inventing the Flat Earth"
> by Jeffrey Burton Russell. Russell seeks to show that the commonly
> held notion that the "medievals" believed in a flat Earth is a
> historical invention of the 19th and 20th century. I found the book
> extremely intriguing but must remain skeptical - his arguments are
> very convincing but it is hard for me to accept that his "Flat Error"
> (as he calls it) has been willingly propagated for so long without
> anyone crying foul. If true, this must rank as one of the most
> outrageous "historical hoaxes" of the last 200 years - willfully
> permitted to persist by the academia! Can anyone recommend other
> references on this topic?

Keith B. Miller
Research Assistant Professor
Dept of Geology, Kansas State University
Manhattan, KS 66506-3201
785-532-2250
http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~kbmill/