Re: impassibility (Was Re: Vienna cardinal draws lines in Intelligent Design row)

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Tue Nov 22 2005 - 16:44:41 EST

I do not hold that "the divine nature of which that person is one
hypostasis doesn't." This translates the notion of the eternal Trinity
into a temporal one that doesn't feel until the temporal event occurs. If
God is eternal in the sense of being outside of time except through the
unique Incarnation, this is impossible, contradictory. So the view has to
be that God is eternally staurocentric, unchangingly knows the cost of
sin and redemption, infinitely reacts (though that term has totally wrong
connotations). He is impassive because nothing from temporal history is
added to what he eternally knows, not because he is not involved. There
may be different hermeneutical approaches, but I contend that no viable
interpretive principle can support a contradiction. This allows some
things to be true within Lutheran theology that cannot be incorporated
into Reformed doctrine, and vice versa. But the divine eternity is basic
to all orthodoxy, though often misunderstood..

As for scriptural foundations, besides the express statements I consider
the requirements of such passages as Romans 8:29f. To what extent you
find such persuasive, Luther held to predestination as strongly as
Calvin. But Lutherans generally have changed. Hermeneutics again.
Dave

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:14:15 -0500 "George Murphy" <gmurphy@raex.com>