Re: impassibility (Was Re: Vienna cardinal draws lines in Intelligent Design row)

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Tue Nov 22 2005 - 15:14:15 EST

2 replies & then I'm afraid I'm done for the day:

To Dave S: I apologize for misrepresenting your views. I'm quite aware that you hold the Chalcedonian view that the person of the Son suffers because it is the person of the assumed human nature. Perhaps you had not seen my later post in which I corrected my original inept wording. But then, as I indicated, you have the strange result that the divine person suffers but the divine nature of which that person is one hypostasis doesn't. It's hard for me to make sense of that.

I am not, as I've said several times, a "patripassian" in the traditional sense - i.e., I don't think that the Father was crucified. My views can - with those of Luther & some of the modern theologians I mentioned in my later & longer post - be described as "deipassian." A refusal to accept such a view ends up meaning, among other things, that the cross did not have any effect on the Father. You cannot say, as with the Son, that the person of the Father suffered because of a communication from an assumed passible nature to the divine because the Father assumed no human nature. So the crucifixion literally made no difference to the Father. & this is not helped by considerations about divine foreknowledge. On this view God would have eternally been just the same if humanity had not sinned & Christ had never been crucified.

When you speak about "the passages indicating that he doesn't change" you might mention that there are to my knowledge just two of them, Malachi 3:6 and James 1:17. & since I've had to confess to misrepresenting your view, you might note that I do not "reject" these verses. They can be understood quite adequately in terms of the constancy of God's character, God's "steadfast love" and faithfulness. (No serious Christian theologian imagines that God is just kind of whimsical, changing his mind & attitude from day to day.) On the other hand there are numerous passages that speak about God loving, repenting, &c. & no, I don't insist on reading all of these literally as YECs do with Gen.1. But what is critical isn't these verses - or your philosophical presuppositions - but understanding the cross-resurrection event adequately.

To Janice M: What is the relevance to my post, & in particular to the statement of the 5th Council, of your material on panentheism, ?

I don't describe myself as a panentheist, in part because it's often taken to mean that one is a process theologian (which I'm not) & in part because some who describe themselves in that way (e.g., Matthew Fox) let the "en" drop out & are hard to distinguish from pantheists. But as far as the etymology of the word goes, "all in God," there is nothing inherently heretical about it. Paul was willing to quote a pagan author to the effect that "in him we live and move & have our being."

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/