RE: Catholic Church no longer swears by truth of the Bible

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@verizon.net>
Date: Tue Nov 22 2005 - 12:20:26 EST

Chris wrote:

Ah yes, this is the very article I was referring to a few weeks ago:
"Some Christians want a literal interpretation of the story of
creation, as told in Genesis, taught alongside Darwin's theory of
evolution in schools, believing "intelligent design" to be an equally
plausible theory of how the world began." Has anyone seen a more
ridiculous conflation of YEC and ID?

Taught to the same students in the same schools, perhaps, but not in the
same class. It's this confusion of Jewish history with anthropological
history that is the sticking point. When kids take courses in world
history and have to learn about the "fertile crescent" and all that,
tell them about Adam in the garden and how the Jews and Arabs through
Abraham can trace there bloodlines back to this region and this story.
Whether it is "real" history or embellished history we can't know for
sure.

As far as I can tell, the first person to recognize this mistake was
Julian, emperor of Rome, who saw newly converted Romans talking about
Adam. Julian was smart enough to see there was no convergence of
bloodlines between the Romans and the Semites. Unfortunately he used
this information to try and discredit Christianity itself in an attempt
to restore paganism, thus his moniker, "Julian the Apostate."

Whereas these early Christians could be commended for their faith while
excused for their ignorance, what is our excuse? Shouldn't we know
better by now? Why can't we keep the faith and discard the stupidness?

www.genesisproclaimed.org