Re: Adam in History

From: <RFaussette@aol.com>
Date: Mon Nov 21 2005 - 21:24:28 EST

In a message dated 11/21/2005 10:25:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dickfischer@earthlink.net writes:
Lastly, you spoke of Adam migrating. But might not the mythical tale of Adam,
Adapa, Atum, also have migrated from culture to culture, at least within the
ancient Near East's trade routes?
There is a little data that suggests it. Adam was cast out of the garden.
Cain left Eden and built the city of Enoch located near Erech (or it actually
was Erech). And the similarities in names between Seth’s and Cain’s
descendents indicate they lived in close proximity. Adapa who lived in Eridu is also
called “the Erechian.”
All the cultures who preserved the stories are Semitic. Even the pyramids in
Egypt were likely carved by Semitic stonecutters. There are no other stories
in any other cultures that resonate so closely with Adam.
"We may conclude that no nation exerted so deep an influence on the Jews as
the Persians; no moral power could have penetrated more deeply into their
spirit than did the religious system of Zoroaster with its long procession of
traditions and commentaries.
All doubt vanishes when we pass form the purely external relations between
the two nations to a comparison of the ideas which represent the loftiest
conclusions and the very foundations of their respective civilizations. Let us cite
a few examples of the influence of the Persian religion upon Judaism in
general, before pointing out all the elements of the kabbalistic system to be found
in tjhe Zend Avesta. However, I do not intend to speak of the fundamental
dogmas of the Old Testament. For, since Zoroaster himself continually refers to
much older traditions, it would be incorrect to regard the following as having
been borrowed from his doctrine: the six days of the Creation, so easily
recognized in the six Gahanbars; the earthly paradise and the ruse of the demon who,
in the shape of the serpent, kindled revolt in the soul of our primal
parents; the terrible punishment and forfeiture Adam and Eve had to suffer for this
sin (after having lived like angels, they were obliged to cover themselves with
the skins of aniimals, to wrest metals form the bowels of the earth, and to
invent all the arts by which we subsist); and finally the last judgment, with
its accompanying terrors, and the resurrection of the spirit and the flesh. All
these beliefs it is true, are as explicitly stated in the Bundehesh
(according to Zend Avesta, the oldest religious book of the Parsees) and in the Zend
Avesta as in Genesis; but we reassert our conviction that the source is to be
looked for in a much earlier age. We cannot say the same of rabbinical Judaism,
which is much more modern than the religion of Zoroaster. The traces of
Parseeism are very visible, and the oldest masters of kabbalah are also counted
among the teachers of the most venerated elders of the synagogue.
Ormuzd himself tells his servant Zoroaster, that he Ormuzd has given or
created a place of delight and abundance, called Eeriene Veedjo. This place, more
beautiful than the entire world resembles the Behsht (celestial paradise).
Ahriman then created in the river that watered this place the Great Adder, mother
of winter. (Zend Avesta Vol II p.264). At another point Ahriman himself
descends from heaven to earth in the shape of an adder. It is also Ahriman who
seduces the first man, Meshiah, and the first woman, Meshiane. "He crept over their
thoughts, he overthrew their minds, and said to them: "It was Ahriamn who
made the water, the earth the trees and the animals." Thus Ahriman deceived them
at the very beginning and until the end this cruel one endeavored to seduce
them." Zend Avesta Vol III pp 351 and 378"
The Kabbalah, the religious philosophy of the Hebrews, chapter The Chaldeans
and Persians