RE: Vienna cardinal draws lines in Intelligent Design row

From: Denyse O'Leary <oleary@sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon Nov 21 2005 - 09:28:33 EST

Thanks for all, Ted,

All valuable, and about to be placed in my story archives for future
reference.

Here's the part that intrigues me: It is often pointed out that, in general,
the ID folk are theologically conservative.

But I rarely hear much attention paid to the fact that anti-ID-ism suits
some alternative-theology agendas very well.

I see the Pope as simply moving to make clear that orthodox Catholic
theology cannot dispense with a God who is at LEAST an intelligent designer,
and that some folk will just have to live with that.

The Pope would, of course, see many other - arguably much more critical -
roles for God (including being the Pope's direct Boss!), but - here's the
rub - if he isn't at least an intelligent designer, he probably isn't
actually playing those other roles either. It all becomes an affair of the
imagination, whereas Catholicism is committed to its theology as
representing states of fact.

Thus, supporting il progetto intelligente is basically just plugging a leak,
ending the misrepresentation that the Catholic Church is cool with a
purposeless variety of evolution when it isn't and can't be.

Cheers, Denyse.

--
Read brief excerpts from my book, By Design or by Chance?: The Growing
Controversy On the Origins of Life in the Universe (Augsburg Fortress, 2004)
at
http://www.designorchance.com/press.html
Study Guide:
http://www.arn.org/arnproducts/books/b088sk.htm
Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0806651776/qid=1109790930/sr=8
-1/ref=pd_csp_1/104-8617533-8799957?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
My blog:
http://post-darwinist.blogspot.com/
(go to other blogs from here)
Denyse O'Leary