RE: Vienna cardinal draws lines in Intelligent Design row

From: Denyse O'Leary <oleary@sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon Nov 21 2005 - 08:08:13 EST

While we are on this topic, Vatican astronomer George Coyne, who attacks
intelligent design theory, has a rather unusual theological view, which he
is prepared to share with the Catholic press:

"... if we confront what we know of our origins scientifically with
religious faith in God the Creator if, that is, we take the results of
modern science seriously it is difficult to believe that God is omnipotent
and omniscient in the sense of many of the scholastic philosophers. For the
believer, science tells us of a God who must be very different from God as
seen by them. "

As it happens, Benedict XVI is running a traditional Christian church, whose
most basic doctrines (omnipotence, omniscience) he is not at liberty to
change.

Read more at

HYPERLINK
"http://post-darwinist.blogspot.com/2005/11/catholic-teaching-on-origin-of.h
tml"http://post-darwinist.blogspot.com/2005/11/catholic-teaching-on-origin-o
f.html

By the way, a native-born Italian tells me that the term "progetto
intelligente", which the Pope used in his talk, is the term the Italian
media use to mean "intelligent design" as in "the intelligent design
controversy".

That's why I laughed so hard when someone suggested that the Pope doesn't
mean it "in an American Protestant sense".

No, but then the Pope doesn't - generally speaking - mean anything in an
America Protestant sense ever ... but it appears that he DOES mean it in a
Catholic sense.

cheers, Denyse

--
Read brief excerpts from my book, By Design or by Chance?: The Growing
Controversy On the Origins of Life in the Universe (Augsburg Fortress, 2004)
azon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0806651776/qid=1109790930/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp
_1/104-8617533-8799957?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
My blog:
HYPERLINK
"http://post-darwinist.blogspot.com/"http://post-darwinist.blogspot.com/
(go to other blogs from here)