Re: Isaac Newton

From: Janice Matchett <>
Date: Sun Nov 20 2005 - 20:22:56 EST

At 08:07 PM 11/20/2005, wrote:
>Yes, I saw it. I was most interested in it as it was pretty
>accurate in my opinion in most areas. one of my hesitancies was the
>fact that they merely called him a heretic without defining his
>beliefs. If you care to discuss this topic further we can. I have
>read Newton's original manuscripts in Cambridge, Jerusalem, Boston,
>and Palo Alto and base my opinions in those MSS. I was also most
>interested in discovering one of Newton's Bibles in Cambridge and
>studying his marginal notes in that Bible. One of the interesting
>finds in Jerusalem was a letter by Einstein briefly discussing the
>Jerusalem MSS which he examined in the US after Yehuda purchased
>them and before they were sent to Jerusalem.
>I have not published in the field but as a high school teacher it
>was my primary goal to prepare and use a one hour slide presentation
>that I put together for my high school students on the topic. I
>used this with all of my students for over 23 years. I was observed
>by my principals and other colleagues on several occasions and it
>was noted by them that my presentation is an example of how one can
>present scholarly material to high school students who are not
>particularly interested in school. I have also presented at a
>number of conferences including ASA, NSTA and others.
>Due to health reasons, I retired from teaching high school in 2000
>and I do not believe that I have done anything with the presentation
>since my retirement. To be honest, I am not sure what to do with it.
>Helen Martin

### Two items which may interest you:

[1] Discussions with Unitarians:

[2] Forthcoming: Isaac Newton, Heretic

To be published in the Icon Books series Scientific Revolutions, this
book will detail Newton's heretical theology, apocalyptic thought and alchemy.

Stephen D. Snobelen
Assistant Professor
History of Science and Technology
University of King's College