Re: History and ASA

From: <kbmill@ksu.edu>
Date: Thu Nov 17 2005 - 11:27:19 EST

> On a larger issue, however, I really do wonder why we bother to
> indicate
> which disciplines belong and which don't. Isn't the real issue
> simply one's
> own interest in participating in the ASA? I entirely support a
> specifically
> Christian statement of faith for membership, but the disciplinary
> thing
> seems quite irrelevant to me here in 2005. If a carpenter or a
> secretary or
> an elementary schoolteacher or a homemaker wants to join the ASA,
> read the
> journal, and/or attend our meetings, why in the world would we want
> to keep
> him or her out? Obviously such persons would not (in most cases, not
> quite
> all) be qualified to lead the organization or to contribute to PSCF,
> but if
> they perceive a benefit worth paying the dues for, why should we not
> welcome
> them into the organization? I am not worried about a potential
> "swamping"
> effect, in which people with relatively little knowledge of science
> try to
> influence opinions in such a way as to drive away professional
> scientists--I
> doubt that such people would be attracted to the ASA in the first
> place.
> Rather, let us enhance our opportunities to provide leadership on
> important
> issues, leadership first to the body of Christ and then to our
> secular
> colleagues.

Individuals can already subscribe to the journal, attend annual
meetings, join the listserve, and participate in local events.
However, the issue is voting membership. Here, I think the
disciplinary requirements are necessary. We are a society whose
mission is to foster serious and informed Christian reflection on the
sciences and technology. Those voting for the organizational
leadership and direction need to have some training in the relevant
disciplines.

Keith