Re: immunization refusal

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Wed Nov 16 2005 - 13:19:32 EST

The pre-Columbian peoples in the Americas had a number of diseases that
were not found in the Old World--yaws, Chagas', Posada's, valley fever.
Yes, they quickly succumbed to measles and small pox, to which they had
no immunity. But earlier the Europeans had died en masse from plague, the
black death, new at the time to them. Now we have seen danger from SARS,
contained through contemporary knowledge. It could have been a pandemic
had the virus passed from animals to humans earlier, although slowed by
the means of travel available. Now, despite medical advances, we face the
possibility of a flu pandemic from a mutated virus. Novel pathogens can
be a problem wherever they occur. On the other hand, wherever endemic
diseases occur, populations manage to cope. The classic example is
resistance to malaria by thalassemia or sickle cell. But living
conditions among the desert tribes of northern Mexico and southwestern US
seem to have produced a tendency to diabetes. What is beneficial under
some conditions can be devastating under others.
Dave

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 22:20:41 -0600 Mervin Bitikofer <mrb22667@kansas.net>