Re: immunization refusal

From: jack syme <drsyme@cablespeed.com>
Date: Wed Nov 16 2005 - 06:59:12 EST

While it is true that part of this issue regards "herd immunity", and how those that refuse immunization are still protected because everyone else takes risks that they are not willing to take, I do not think that is the predominant reason for pediatricians to dismiss families from their practice for doing so.

I think those pediatricians that dismiss families from their practice do so simply out of frustration. The parents that refuse immunization are not neglectful parents, they are well intentioned, well read, and mis-informed, and it is having to battle, over and over again, disinformation regarding vaccines that is the cause of the pediatricians frustration.

And this points to a couple of larger issues. First of all, in the current reimbursement climate, most pediatricians have to see 30 or 40 patients a day just to make ends meet, so do not take the time, or do not have the time, to discuss these issues in greater detail. However, according to this study, there was no significant difference in dismissal between pediatricians based on age, sex, number of patients they see a day, etc.

The other bigger issue is, I think, the erosion of respect for authority in general, and physicians in particular. With so many sources of information out there it is easy to find information that contradicts what the doctor says. The most common reason cited for dismissal was "lack of trust" and "lack of shared goals".

For the record, I do not think that dismissal is an appropriate response to refusal of vaccination.