Re: immunization refusal

From: Jim Armstrong <jarmstro@qwest.net>
Date: Wed Nov 16 2005 - 01:45:06 EST

This is probably a good topic. A quick googling produces a myriad of
links discussing possible doctor dismissal of patients who refuse
immunization.
A little more searching also reveals a number of bases for patient
vaccination refusal, including:

 lingering concerns that are associated with results from older vaccines,
 arguments that vaccines actually worked the wrong way in light of
historical data that purports to show decreases in diseases prior to
vaccines (seen in a recent e-mail)
http://www.vaclib.org/intro/present/
the "murder" of embryos to create vaccines,
and even outright associations with evil, death, and the mark of the
beast! Vaccination Liberation Information -
http://www.vaclib.org/basic/crusade.htm
<http://www.vaclib.org/basic/crusade.htm>

I''m interested in any reactions to the second item, and in the ethical
issues that hit the table in Jack's unique setting. All valuable with
respect to situation awareness and informed throught.

Parenthetically, in my own case, I face a bit of a dilemma. I'm over 65,
and quite a few years ago took flu shots in two successive years. I
immediately came down with the flu both times. Twice-bit, I quit taking
the immunizations and have not had the flu once in subsequent years. I
seem to be flu resistant (a good thing!). This probably relates to the
"older vaccines" issues, however it still colors my weighting of
decisions in the now. At the end of the day I'm not quite sure how to
think about reacting to a new flu pandemic should one arise.

So, I'm listening from that perspective as well.

JimA