Re: immunization refusal

From: Mervin Bitikofer <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Tue Nov 15 2005 - 23:20:41 EST

The common perception of this seems to be that those foregoing
vaccinations are making a selfish decision to avoid personal risks while
still enjoying the benefits of living in a society that is largely
immunized -- a similar situation to that illustrated by the 'prisoner's
dilemma' which itself would make a great discussion here with its
possible application to evolution and morality. So if the
pediatricians' reasoning for dismissal is to provide extra motivation,
hopefully minimizing the numbers of people choosing to refuse it -- this
would certainly make sense. But I wonder if the common perception will
turn out to be a good one in the long run on these issues. I'm
certainly not always singing the praises of modern medicine in general,
and I have a hard time dismissing as 'second-class' those who
deliberately opt out on this. (And I'm not just saying that because I
happen to have a sister whom I believe has not immunized her large
family -- for what I assume are probably religious reasons.) When we
were getting our own immunized some years ago the DPT shots could cause
quite the medical maladies. I think they have since softened the most
mischivous ingredients involved. But we didn't make the decision to do
it lightly. And it's only in hindsight that we can contentedly know our
kids 'survived' that hurdle. 'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'
is an aphorism that applies to a lot of things in life a lot riskier
than vaccinations. But I still don't think I could look down on someone
who makes that decision differently than we did.

Isn't there some pretty good research now showing that Native Americans
were a pretty healthy bunch over here until the filthy and disease
ridden Europeans came over with their army of microorganisms that ended
up doing their dirty work for them? The Europeans probably had
merciless immune systems necessitated by survival in cities of open
sewage compared with a relative healthy and lazy set of immune systems
in their native isolation on this side of the puddle. Don't get me
wrong -- I still wash my hands like mother taught me, and I'm glad
doctors do the same now. But I still have to wonder how much of a long
term favor we really are doing our civilization when we aspire to make
everything as sterile and disease free as possible. And yet -- what
else could we possibly want?

--merv