RE: Kuwait's biggest field starts to run out of oil

From: Glenn Morton <glenn_morton@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Nov 15 2005 - 16:56:59 EST

Email is so bad in this apartment. third try to send this.

  I have this in my database from a 2001 source. 1 acre produces 328 gallons of ethanol. But one must take into account transportation costs before figuring out how much of this will fuel the autos. Gas has energy content of 12000 kcal/liter while ethanol has 5100 kcal/liter. So, we will need more ethanol than gasoline. Today the US uses 9 million barrels of ethanol (something like 350 million gallons). I won't calculate the acreage required cause I have spent way too much time on this one email but the acreage would be tremendous.

  For those who question this topic, I would say this. Since the ASA invited me to give a talk at their Aug conference on this issue, it seems to me that we should be able to discuss things on this list which were found suitable for the convention.

Tjalle T Vandergraaf <ttveiv@mts.net> wrote:
        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) } Biodiesel and ethanol are viable alternatives as long as the energy balance is positive but I wonder how many acres we need to plant with corn etc. to offset the decrease in fossil fuel harvesting. Hopefully, somebody has an answer. But, what with the vagaries of farming (Canadian prairie farmers have had a rough couple of years), I wonder how secure a biofuel supply would be.

glenn
http://home.entouch.net/dmd/dmd.htm