Re: Why sometimes I am ashamed to be called a Christian...the last, I hope

From: <Fivefree@aol.com>
Date: Mon Nov 14 2005 - 21:51:48 EST

In a message dated 11/12/2005 1:43:09 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
gmurphy@raex.com writes:

All this talk about poor Pat, let's give him a break, finding excuses &c
forgets 1 important thing: His statement is a profound PUBLIC offence to the
Christian church,

Some maybe. Although more probably agree with him than are against him. If
Christianity was a voting democracy he would probably have the majority
opinion in the polls.

convincing many outside the Christian community that Christians are stupid
and vindictive & giving them just one more reason not to take the claims of
the gospel seriously.

This is the crux of the problem to some. I see on this list many wistful
comments in the vein of "if only" YEC's weren't so popular or the Religious
Right weren't so embarrassing, or some other sort of thing. The Gospel is not
intellectual in nature. It is not an intellectual agreement to a set of ideals
or philosophy. The Bible says that even miracles will not persuade many, much
less a certain point of view. The Bible says "If they do not hear Moses and
the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead."
So we can infer that the Word of God is more powerful and persuasive than
miracles and miracles surely would outdo a philosophical persuasion. Indeed, "
And as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed." And "I say to you,
unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means
enter the kingdom of heaven."

So, pre-ordained to accept the Gospel and accepting HIM aside from
intellectual assent is the biblical way. "For you see your calling, brethren, that not
many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are
called." Why not many PhD's, Philosophers, Doctors, Lawyers, etc.? "But God has
chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has
chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty"

So, the yearning to have contemporaries believe perhaps as you do is not
getting them to accept a philosophy or point of view but a true acceptance of
the Gospel is an inward process apart from fleshly (the intellect is part of
the flesh) approval.

Your attempts to guilt trip those who criticize Robertson miss the point.
Robertson hasn't sinned against me personally & my forgiving him, which I'm
quite willing to do, isn't what's at issue. What is at issue is the fact that
Robertson's public statement is a misrepresentation of Christianity, & the
need for Christians to denounce & disown it (not him) publically.

Your earlier posts suggested you were talking of the man. The scripture has
the best advice, "let them alone; for if this plan or this work is of men, it
will come to nothing;" so if Pat Robertson is babbling wildly God will take
care of him Himself,sooner or later. After all, its his body.

Shalom
George

Toda Shalom,
Jack Jackson