Re: Is there evidence of design?

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Mon Nov 14 2005 - 12:33:19 EST

Louise is quite right. & here's a point about Johnson's notorious quoute that's often missed. The fingerprints of a perpetrator at the scene of a crime are useful in identifying that person only when his/her fingerprints are obtained independently & connected with that specific person. Similarly, God's metaphorical fingerprints enable us to identify something as God's handiwork only if we know beforehand what God's "fingerprints" are like. This means (dropping the metaphor) that we must know God somehow beforehand before any evidence in nature - design or whatever - will show that God did it. We have to know God from his revelation in Christ before we can recognize signs of that God's activity in the world. & since God's revelation in Christ is focussed on the cross-resurrection event, it is phenomena that bear that mark - like evolution through natural selection - that are more like the "fingerprint of God" than is the bacterial flagellum.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/