Re: Is there evidence of design?

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Mon Nov 14 2005 - 12:22:34 EST

Crichton's statement that the Drake equation is "pure speculation in scientific trappings" is 100% wrong. The equation is in fact quite rigorous, stating that the number of extant advanced technical civilizations in the galaxy is the product of a number of factors that would determine whether such civilizations could come into being and how long they would survive. Where speculation enters is in knowing what numbers to put into the equations for some of these factors, because we simply don't the probability of life developing on a suitable planet or the probability of intelligence emerging if life does. We don't even know if our estimates are very conservative or very generous.

Crichton should stick to fiction.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/