Re:Small probabilities

From: Bill Hamilton <williamehamiltonjr@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Nov 13 2005 - 14:01:08 EST

Dave Siemens wrote

I may be demonstrating my ignorance here, but my understanding of
complexity theory, which applies to deterministic chaos in the world,
provides that however much one may know about initial conditions,
prediction can only be in terms of probability. Additionally, the
combination of a few linear equations can produce nonlinearity and chaos.
We did not notice this earlier because of our tendency to substitute an
approximation whenever things began to get complicated. The application
of complexity theory is a recent development.

Just a small quibble. You need nonlinearity to obtain chaos. I know of no way
to produce nonlinearity and chaos from a few linear equations.

BTW in an earlier paragraph you state that quantum mechanics suggests that
there is such a thing as true randomness. I agree.

Bill Hamilton
William E. Hamilton, Jr., Ph.D.

http://mail.yahoo.com