RE: Vatican

From: Stephen J. Krogh, P.G. <panterragroup@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun Nov 13 2005 - 09:54:13 EST

  -----Original Message-----
  From: asa-owner@lists.calvin.edu [mailto:asa-owner@lists.calvin.edu]On
Behalf Of RFaussette@aol.com
  Sent: Sunday, November 13, 2005 7:38 AM
  To: panterragroup@mindspring.com;
  Subject: Re: Vatican

  In a message dated 11/12/2005 1:57:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
panterragroup@mindspring.com writes:
     I have spoken with several of my active Jewish friends and they thought
this was a novel perspective as well. They had never heard of it either.
  "Gershom Scholem was the master builder of historical studies of the
Kabbalah... Almost all of the scholars in the field were his students or, in
his later years, students of his students."
  Arthur Hertzberg, NYU 1995

  Why do you assume that the information we share is common knowledge to all
Jews, or even that your Jewish friends must be aware of the same
information?
  There are orthodox, reformed, conservative, Ashkenazi, Sephardi, Hasidim,
Sabbatean.
  Judaism is not a monolith nor are the core secrets of Judaism available to
all and that is not my opinion, that is the opinion and the practice of the
kabbalists themselves. The kabbalists say the secret of nature is in genesis
and should not be divulged to any one man. The very secrecy and elitism that
Christians saw in gnosticism, the idea that a belief is only apprehensible
to a few, was rejected by Christianity, but that secrecy and elitism is a
component of Jewish mysticisim and is embraced by Judaism and many Jewish
intellectuals like the most highly regarded Scholem.
  As another example, the nationalist nature of Judaism that created the
state of Israel is not embraced by all Jews although it is commonly embraced
by American Jews.

  rich faussette

Terrific, but why are you assuming that I am assuming. My point, if you can
even recall it, was that your notion was quite novel. Yes, even to my Jewish
friends. Your arguments haven't changed that.