Re: Why sometimes I am ashamed to be called a Christian

From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Nov 12 2005 - 15:26:36 EST

What I love about Christ'sm teaching is that it always cuts both ways, so
that whenever you start pointing the finger, you find the finger points back
at you - this applies as much to Pat Robertson, as it does to any of us. I'm
always reminded of the parable of the pharisee and the publican, and often
think how often when we read such a parable that we might mentally think
"How glad I am Lord, that you have not made me like that Pharisee", thereby
falling into precisely the same trap.

Yes, Pat Robertson said some stupid judgemental things there and on other
occasions, but it appears that he has also done a huge amount of good. We're
all in the same boat, and some pretty judgemental things are being said
about Pat Robertson here.

Remember, when you get all hot under the collar like this that when you
point the finger, it points back at you. As soon as you start accusing
someone else of being judgemental, you are being judgemental yourself. And,
George, what is it that makes you think that you can give a break for the
first offence, but not for subsequent ones? I thought one had to go up to
490 (or was it 77?) before you could get away with condemning someone? ;-)

Iain

--
Those who can count and those who can't.