Re: Panda's from 1995

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Sat Nov 12 2005 - 13:15:45 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alexanian, Moorad" <alexanian@uncw.edu>
To: "George Murphy" <gmurphy@raex.com>; "Keith Miller" <kbmill@ksu.edu>;
<asa@calvin.edu>
Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2005 8:23 AM
Subject: RE: Panda's from 1995

>"Now not for his sake only was it written that it was credited to him, but
>for our sake also, to whom it will be credited, as those who believe in Him
>who raised >Jesus our Lord from the dead, He who was delivered over
>because of our transgressions, and was raised because of our
>justification." Romans 4:23-25.

>Evolutionary theory is a purely scientific theory. As such, it says nothing
>about our transgressions and our justification. I know we Christians can
>reconcile the >science and the Word of God but I wonder which choice is the
>closest to the truth.

I could have referred to a number of other passages instead of the one in
Romans 4. The reason I chose that is because it comes at a point where Paul
has shown the universality of sin and God's answer to the problem in Christ,
and _before_ he says anything about Adam & the ideas that will lead to the
doctrine of original sin in Ch.5. A conflict between evolutionary scenarios
& the traditional picture of the Fall is often presented, both by atheists &
Christian anti-evolutionists, as a drop-dead argument against any
reconciliation between Christianity and evolution. "If there was no literal
Adam & no Fall there there's no need for a savior" - you've heard the
arguments. They are simply and totally false. We are all sinners and thus
in need of a savior, quite apart from the question of how sin became a
problem for all people.

This isn't to say that issues connected with original righteousness &
original sin in an evolutionary context are of no importance but they're
second order issues. Some ways of dealing with them are suggested in the
chapters by Robin Collins and myself in the book Keith edited, _Perspectives
on an Evolving Creation."

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/