Re: Why sometimes I am ashamed to be called a Christian

From: janice matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat Nov 12 2005 - 13:11:09 EST

At 12:28 PM 11/12/2005, Fivefree@aol.com wrote:
>Unfortunately, a Christian on TV who speaks rashly has these things
>broadcast everywhere. I haven't taken Pat seriously since before his
>failed presidential bid . But ashamed to be a Christian over this? Pat
>Robertson's ministries have clothed, fed and given hope to more
>helpless/homeless people hundreds of thousands of times more than
>everybody on this list combined.
>
>The American Center for Law and Justice also has helped many thousands of
>Christians from being persecuted or discriminated at their jobs, schools
>or businesses. If you've never been persecuted (beaten or threatened to be
>fired) for your faith then you don't know how valuable some of his
>ministries are. He also founded this. So give the guy a break.
>
>Regards,
>Jack Jackson
>

>In a message dated 11/12/2005 8:05:51 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
>burgytwo@juno.com writes:
>"I'd like to say to the good citizens of Dover: if there is a disaster in
>your area, don't turn to God -- you just rejected Him from your city. And
>don't wonder why He hasn't helped you when problems begin, if they begin.
>I'm not saying they will, but if they do, just remember, you just voted
>God out of your city. And if that's the case, don't ask for His help
>because he might not be there."
>
>--Pat Robertson, talking about the people of Dover, Penn., who voted out
>school board members who had advocated adding discussions about
>"intelligent design" to biology textbooks.

### “Yes, the church is a whore, but she's still my mother.” ~ Martin Luther
http://www.stanford.edu/group/ivfaculty/Essays/20011008JJ.shtml

"...Remember those Christians who peeve you so much­God chose them too. For
some reason, I find it much easier to show grace and acceptance toward
immoral unbelievers than toward uptight, judgmental Christians. Which, of
course, turns me into a different kind of uptight, judgmental Christian.

Who are the Christians you scorn? Who do you look down upon in moral,
intellectual, political or financial condescension? God loves them too.

If you think of the church as a hospital for the sick rather than as a hall
of fame for the spiritually perfect, and understand yourself to be
seriously ill, then .... We are all pilgrims on the way, far from our
destination, but by God's grace headed in the right direction (Philippians
3:12–14).

~ Janice