RE: "Pandas" evolves into a new edition

From: Freeman, Louise Margaret <lfreeman@mbc.edu>
Date: Fri Nov 11 2005 - 11:20:37 EST

Ted wrote
> It is legitimate
for a teacher to mention explanatory difficulties with evolution if they
wish, as long as there is a clear secular educational purpose for doing so.<

In my field, psychology, pointing out explanatory differences with various
"theories" is par for the course, which is why I tend to avoid the word
theory in favor of "model", "explanation" or in a more experimental setting,
"competing hypotheses." But I am interested in hearing some non-evolution
examples from other disciplines... First, which of your major theories have
significant "explanatory difficulties" and how do you address those in
class?

Second, are those "difficulties" more or less significant than the
difficulties found with evolutionary theory?

__
Louise M. Freeman, PhD
Psychology Dept
Mary Baldwin College