Re: Vatican

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Fri Nov 11 2005 - 08:13:04 EST

1) The question of canonicity is of course exactly the opposite of my "opinion." It is one of the "opinion" of the church catholic since the 2d century.

2) Why you would imagine that "a literal reading of the Bible" is my "burden" I cannot imagine, except that it may fit in with some pet theory of yours. If you had paid any attention to other posts on this list you would have seen that I've sometimes been criticized for not being sufficiently "literal."

3) My 3d sentence explained that the "Jewish concepts of the Messiah" which I said carried little weight were "the predominant popular Jewish messianic concept at the time, the leader who would throw out the Romans and establish Jewish domination." I never said, or have said, or - deo volente - will say that the Hebrew scriptures are unimportant for Christian theology. It's the Gnostics who generally took that line!

4) If you would take the trouble to read, & try to understand, what other people write instead of just seizing every opportunity to ride off on your hobby horse you might be able to make more useful contributions to conversations.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/