RE: Vatican

From: Stephen J. Krogh, P.G. <panterragroup@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu Nov 10 2005 - 17:53:00 EST

Well terrific, that was my point. I did not suggest that that it was solely
for a helper.
That is secondary, otherwise God would have created Steve, not Eve.

 It
> just happens to be the one specifically mentioned before it took place. I
> am afraid that focusing on the sexual partner aspect has caused this
> passage to be misused by Christians to justify a negative view of celibacy
> even though several New Testament passages have positive things to say
> about it. This negative view is also a factor in efforts to soften Jesus'
> hard saying in Matthew 19, which, ironically, is based on this same OT
> passage.

The concluding "Therefore" in vs. 24 really cements that Adam felt
incomplete
and needed a mate, in the full sense of the word. Adam was not called to be
celibate. Others may be.
But I don't need to accommodate celibacy in my view of this scripture.