RE: Vatican

From: gordon brown <>
Date: Thu Nov 10 2005 - 17:09:42 EST

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Stephen J. Krogh, P.G. wrote:

> I suppose you were commenting on my post. Eve wasn't created just to be a
> gardening helper, but to complete him. Another male would have been better
> suited to work with Adam in the garden. It is clear that is not the case.
> Adam felt incomplete. Adam seeing all the other animals in the Garden. Did
> they have mates?
> [22] And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman,
> and brought her unto the man.
> [23] And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she
> shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.
> [24] Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave
> unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
> These verses really don't make sense if Adam just needed a helper.

The creation of Eve had multiple purposes, not just to supply a helper. It
just happens to be the one specifically mentioned before it took place. I
am afraid that focussing on the sexual partner aspect has caused this
passage to be misused by Christians to justify a negative view of celibacy
even though several New Testament passages have positive things to say
about it. This negative view is also a factor in efforts to soften Jesus's
hard saying in Matthew 19, which, ironically, is based on this same OT

Gordon Brown
Department of Mathematics
University of Colorado
Boulder, CO 80309-0395