Re: Metaphysics and science: A question for Ted

From: Ted Davis <tdavis@messiah.edu>
Date: Thu Nov 10 2005 - 13:42:42 EST

I wish I had time to say a lot more Joel, regrettably I really don't, and
won't for at least several weeks. I'm behind now on four writing projects
due in the next 30 days, 3 of them quite important. All I'll say here and
now is this:

Michael Ruse (for example) has in the past 10 years begun admitting (which
is no surprise to many in the ASA) that yes, accepting evolution does entail
some metaphysical assumptions about nature and God. You might browse his
more recent books for details. Another good book, for this narrow purpose
(and not necessarily others) is Cornelius Hunter's book, Darwin's God.
Cornelius (as you may know) is strongly in favor of ID--he's a biologist who
rejects common descent, among other things--but in this book he says some of
the same kinds of things that Ruse and others say about evolution and God.
Or, have a look at Jack Haught's book, "God After Darwin."

Ted