Any good middle school science texts?

From: Douglas Hayworth <hayworth@rockford.com>
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 22:17:43 EST

Help! Does anyone on this list know of a decent science textbook series for middle and high school? If not, can you refer me to someone who might know (e.g., a school teacher or administrator who has examined and compared textbooks from different publishers)?

In previous queries I mentioned that I was struggling to work with Jay Wile's textbook to homeschool my 7th grade daughter. I had thought that I could just balance his young earth creationist (YEC) views with my own supplements, but I have now concluded that to be impossible. Jay Wile is so strident in communicating YEC that he gets it in on almost every page, not merely in topics such as geology and evolution.

The little I have seen or read about science textbooks by major publishers for use in public schools is not that favorable, but it's got to be better than Wile's material. Apparently, unlike college science text books, middle school science books are not authored by anyone in particular; therefore, no one's reputation is on the line and no one really has to answer for the quality of the information presented. I'm hoping that there are some exceptions to this rule.

Please, please, if anyone can give me some leads about this, I'd really appreciate it. Ted, you mentioned there you know a grad student who is comparing texts for how they define and present the scientific method. Might that person have ideas about quality of texts overall?

Sincerely,
Douglas

P.S. Here's a novel idea: How about having some REAL scientists (e.g., the same ones that write college texts and already have collections of all those really great illustrations and photographs) write middle and high school science text books!? Ted, how about you write the introductory chapter on the development and meaning of modern science? ; ) Of course, you think I'm joking..but really I'm not.