Re: [Norton AntiSpam] Re: [Norton AntiSpam] Re: Vatican

From: Robert Schneider <rjschn39@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 06:30:45 EST

On God's "gender": there are feminine images of God in the OT, as biblical scholars have pointed out. And from early times, Christian theology has insisted that God is beyond gender. When my (usually male) students insist that God is masculine, I tell them that they are making God in their own image.

However, as I pointed out to my students in my NT Lit. classes yesterday, the correct translation for Gal. 3:28 is "...not 'male and female'." As N. T. Wright and others point out, Paul is clearly referencing Gen. 1:27. They interpret Paul to mean that in Christ gender distinctions no longer obtain, because believers are "one" in a "new creation." The shift also contains an implicit rejection of all patriarchial systems of gender discrimination. Ephesians carries this forward in 5:21ff with "Be mutually submissive to one another out of reverence for Christ," and includes husbands and wives under that rubric.

Bob