Re: Vatican

From: janice matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue Nov 08 2005 - 22:33:27 EST

At 10:18 PM 11/8/2005, George Murphy wrote:
>It's not surprising that Janice & her obscurantist sources are trying to
>minimize the significance of such statements. Of course "the Vatican"
>hasn't endorsed evolution in the sense of an ex cathedra definition making
>acceptance of it de fide for RCs, but a statement by the head of the
>Pontifical Council for Culture, when seen in the context of earlier
>statements by JP II, certainly carries some weight. It shows a clear
>desire on the part of the RCC to distance itself from creationism and the
>ID movement, at least in its popular manifestion.
>
>Shalom
>George
><http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/>http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/

### The horse's mouth, excerpted::
http://www.ncseweb.org/resources/articles/8712_message_from_the_pope_1996_1_3_2001.asp

"....to tell the truth, rather than the theory of evolution, we should
speak of several theories of evolution. On the one hand, this plurality has
to do with the different explanations advanced for the mechanism of
evolution, and on the other, with the various philosophies on which it is
based. Hence the existence of materialist, reduc tionist and spiritualist
interpretations. What is to be decided here is the true role of philosophy
and, beyond it, of theology.

5. The Church's Magisterium is directly concerned with the question of
evolution, for it involves the conception of man: Revelation teaches us
that he was created in the image and likeness of God (cf. Gn 1:27-29). The
conciliar Constitution Gaudium et spes has magnificently explained this
doctrine, which is pivotal to Christian thought. It recalled that man is
:the only creature on earth that God has wanted for its own sake" (n. 24).
In other terms, the human individual cannot be subordinated as a pure means
or a pure instrument, either to the species or to society, he has value per
se. He is a person. With his intellect and his will, he is capable of
forming a relationship of communion, solidarity and self-giving with his
peers. St Thomas observes that man's likeness to God resides especially in
his speculative intellect for his relationship with the object of his
knowledge resembles God's relationship with what he has created (Summa
Theologica, I-II, q. 3, a. 5, ad 1). But even more, man is called to enter
into a relationship of knowledge and love with God himself, a relationship
which will find its complete fulfilment beyond time, in eternity. All the
depth and grandeur of this vocation are revealed to us in the mystery of
the risen Christ (cf. Gaudium et spes, n. 22). It is by virtue of his
spiritual soul that the whole person possesses such a dignity even in his
body. Pius XII stressed this essential point: if the human body takes its
origin from pre-existent living matter the spiritual soul is immediately
created by God ("animal enim a Deo immediate creari catholica fides nos
retinere inhet"; Encyclical Humani generic, AAS 42 [1950], p. 575).

Consequently, theories of evolution which, in accordance with the
philosophies inspiring them, consider the mind as emerging from the forces
of living matter, or as a mere epiphenomenon of this matter, are
incompatible with the truth about man. Nor are they able to ground the
dignity of the person.

6. With man, then, we find ourselves in the presence of an ontological
difference, an ontological leap, one could say. However, does not the
posing of such ontological discontinuity run counter to that physical
continuity which seems to be the main thread of research into evolution in
the field of physics and chemistry? Consideration of the method used in the
various branches of knowledge makes it possible to reconcile two points of
view which would seem irreconcilable. The sciences of observation describe
and measure the multiple manifestations of life with increasing precision
and correlate them with the time line. The moment of transition into the
spiritual cannot be the object of this kind of observation, which
nevertheless can discover at the experimental level a series of very
valuable signs indicating what is specific to the human being. But the
experience of metaphysical knowledge, of self-awareness and
self-reflection, of moral conscience, freedom, or again, of aesthetic and
religious experience, falls within the competence of philosophical analysis
and reflection while theology brings out its ultimate meaning according to
the Creator's plans.

~ Janice :)