Re: Vatican

From: janice matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue Nov 08 2005 - 21:58:12 EST

At 09:31 PM 11/8/2005, Randy Isaac wrote:
>Someone sent me this clip from Australia. Did anyone see the full text of
>the Vatican statement?
>
>Randy
>

>Evolution in the bible, says Vatican
>

>By Martin Penner
>
>November 07, 2005
>

>THE Vatican has issued a stout defence of Charles Darwin, voicing strong
>criticism of Christian fundamentalists who reject his theory of evolution
>and interpret the biblical account of creation literally.
>Cardinal Paul Poupard, head of the Pontifical Council for Culture, said
>the Genesis description of how God created the universe and Darwin's
>theory of evolution were "perfectly compatible" if the Bible were read
>correctly.
>
>His statement was a clear attack on creationist campaigners in the US, who
>see evolution and the Genesis account as mutually exclusive.
>
>"The fundamentalists want to give a scientific meaning to words that had
>no scientific aim," he said at a Vatican press conference. He said the
>real message in Genesis was that "the universe didn't make itself and had
>a creator".
>
>This idea was part of theology, Cardinal Poupard emphasised, while the
>precise details of how creation and the development of the species came
>about belonged to a different realm - science. Cardinal Poupard said that
>it was important for Catholic believers to know how science saw things so
>as to "understand things better".
>
>His statements were interpreted in Italy as a rejection of the
>"intelligent design" view, which says the universe is so complex that some
>higher being must have designed every detail.

### Here's all I have ~ Janice

<http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/1518243/posts>The "Vatican"
Endorses "Darwin"? ["Vatican" has done no such thing
<http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/1518243//^http://insightscoop.typepad.com/2004/2005/11/the_vatican_end.html>Ignatius
Press Blog - Ignatius Insight Scoop ^ | 11/08/05 | Mark Brumley
Posted on 11/08/2005 4:12:49 PM EST by
<http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/1518243//~aherald/>AHerald
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/1518243/posts

News reports from a variety of sources are claiming that the Vatican has
endorsed evolution and condemned Intelligent Design. For example, at
Science and Theology news the headline declares,
<http://www.stnews.org/commentary-2087.htm>"Vatican sides with
Darwin." The subheader for the piece states, "There is no more confusion
swirling around the Vatican over its stance on ID. Darwin has won out, and
scientists are breathing a collective sigh of relief." Glad to know that
scientists care so much what the Vatican says about things like this.

Then there is The Australian, which states,
<http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,17161127^30417,00.html>"The
Vatican has issued a stout defence of Charles Darwin, voicing strong
criticism of Christian fundamentalists who reject his theory of evolution
and interpret the biblical account of creation literally."

Not as direct about the issue of evolution, ABC News declared,
<http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=1278102>"Vatican: Faithful
Should Listen to Science."

Lots of online media have picked up on the story and repeated it. The
problem is, so many are getting it wrong. "The Vatican" has said nothing
on the subject. No statements have been issued by the Vatican. Cardinal
Paul Poupard, who heads the Pontifical Council for Culture, made some
remarks pertaining to the subject of evolution at a religion and science
conference being held at the Vatican. Some other churchmen at the same
conference made some remarks. But "the Vatican" has issued no
declarations, nor has it "endorsed Darwin."

When Pope John Paul II declared evolution to be more than a hypothesis in
his <http://www.newadvent.org/library/docs_jp02tc.htm>1996 Address to the
Pontifical Academy of Sciences, he didn't "endorse Darwin," as I pointed
out at the
<http://www.catholic.net/RCC/Periodicals/Dossier/0102-97/Article3.html>time.
To say that versions of the theory of evolution are compatible with
Christianity is not to "endorse Darwin." It is to say that versions of the
theory of evolution are compatible with Christianity. That much was
implied by Pius XII half a century ago.

Whether the theory of evolution can account for the diversity and present
forms of biological species is primarily a scientific question, not a
theological one, even if, indirectly, it has theological
implications. Perhaps evolution can account for these things; perhaps it
can't. But whether it can or not, the Vatican hasn't weighed in. It has,
however, maintained what we should expect it to maintain--that whatever we
say about evolution or biology as a matter of natural science, God is the
Creator of all life and his creative activity can be rationally discerned
from the world around us.