Re: Small probabilities

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Mon Nov 07 2005 - 09:45:44 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Glenn Morton" <glennmorton@entouch.net>
To: "'George Murphy'" <gmurphy@raex.com>; "'Bill Hamilton'"
<williamehamiltonjr@yahoo.com>; "'Alexanian, Moorad'" <alexanian@uncw.edu>
Cc: <asa@calvin.edu>
Sent: Monday, November 07, 2005 8:23 AM
Subject: RE: Small probabilities

1) We don't know of a way to "observe" free quarks but there's a great deal
of observational data that's explained by quark theories, to the extent that
it would be high quixotic to claim that those theories are "untestable."
We're not at that point yet with multiverse theories but we might be some
day.

2) I don't know why the inflationary result that the density of monopoles
should be extremely low amounts to "explaining away" any prediction of big
bang theory. It's misleading to regard inflationary cosmologies as
competitors with big bang ones. "Big bang" is a very loose term: the MWB &
light element abundances show that there was a "big bang" in the sense of an
extremely hot, dense state in the early universe. Saying that doesn't
commit us to the belief that the universe can be described arbitrarily
closely to "t = 0" by the simple cosmological models of GRT. It would be
more accurate to say that inflationary theories flesh out early (though
perhaps not the earliest) stages of big bang models, or that they are
covering theories of traditional big bang theories. & as part of that, they
explain (not explain away) the lack of monopoles in the present universe.

3) Explaining the non-existence of something can be very fruitful - cf. the
Michelson-Morley experiment & special relativity. Or the clue that Sherlock
Holmes found in "the curious incident of the dog in the night-time," the
curious incident being that "the dog did nothing in the night-time."

& with all that, I'm not a big fan of multiverse theories.

Shalom,
George