Re: Small probabilities

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Mon Nov 07 2005 - 07:58:19 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Glenn Morton" <glennmorton@entouch.net>
To: "'George Murphy'" <gmurphy@raex.com>; "'Bill Hamilton'"
<williamehamiltonjr@yahoo.com>; "'Alexanian, Moorad'" <alexanian@uncw.edu>
Cc: <asa@calvin.edu>
Sent: Sunday, November 06, 2005 11:16 PM
Subject: RE: Small probabilities

I don't think the situations are quite the same. Classical general
relativity starts with a continuous space-time, & there's a sense in which
such a manifold can't be approximated by a discrete one. What you find when
you include both the QM uncertainty principle and the effect of energy on
clock rates in an attempt to measure a time interval with some (idealized)
clock is that when you get down to the Planck scale the net uncertainty in
your clock reading becomes comparable with the time interval that you're
trying to measure. In a sense what this means is that there is a continuum
of points but that the distances between them can't be measured with an
uncertainty less than 100% below the Planck scale. This is, admittedly, a
somewhat old-fashioned approach & what a lot of people working of quantum
gravity now are doing is start with discreteness (loop or string theories) &
then get classical GRT at large scales.

On the more general question - to paraphrase our ex-Pres, it depends on what
"observe" means. If the consequences of multiverse theories explain
observable phenomena better than other theories then they have to be taken
seriously, even if the other universes aren't directly observable. & one
also has to ask whether they're unobservable _in principle_ or just due to
our situation. E.g., in Linde's "bubble" version of inflation we could (I
think) observe another bubble if we were close enough to the edge of ours,
but the conditions that make life possible in our expanding bubble make that
extremely unlikely.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/