RE: Small probabilities

From: Bill Hamilton <williamehamiltonjr@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Nov 06 2005 - 21:49:19 EST

Thanks, folks. I'm still convinced that it is improper to say that the
probability of an event is so small it can't happen, but Glenn, Moorad and Don
bring up a very real point: in the real world it is not possible to deal with
infinitesimal points. Probably I'm just too nitpicky: I want anyone who says
the probability of an event is too small for that event to occur to give a
statement of the relative sizes of the sets involved, or to estimate the mean
time between events. If the mean time between events is say 100 billion years,
then we could conclude teh event in question is very unlikely. It should be
pointed out that Borel, when he stated that an event whose probability is less
than 10^-50 could not happen, made that statement in a book that was intended
to be an introduction to probability theory for nonmathematicians. So he wasn't
wearing his "eminent mathematician" hat when he made the statement.

Bill Hamilton
William E. Hamilton, Jr., Ph.D.

http://mail.yahoo.com