Small probabilities

From: Bill Hamilton <williamehamiltonjr@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Nov 06 2005 - 09:01:29 EST

I read Dembski's response to Henry Morris
(http://www.calvin.edu/archive/asa/200510/0514.html)
and noted that it raised an old issue I've harped on before: that you can
specify a probability below which chance is eliminated. There is a
counterexample given (among other places) in Davenport and Root's book "Random
Signals and Noise" (McGraw Hill, probably sometime in the early 60's) that goes
like this:
Draw a line 1 inch long. Randomly pick a single point on that line. The
probability of picking any point on the line is identically zero. Yet a point
is picked. Am I missing something?

I will probably unsubscribe this evening, because I don't really have time
during the week to read this list. However, I will watch the archive for

Bill Hamilton
William E. Hamilton, Jr., Ph.D.

http://mail.yahoo.com