Re: ASA and the History and Philosophy of Science (HPS)

From: Don Winterstein <dfwinterstein@msn.com>
Date: Sat Nov 05 2005 - 10:23:39 EST

History tells how we got to where we are, but the ID/Evo issue has much more to do with intrinsic human concerns than with history.

Most people who believe in God want to believe that God is close and not far off. That's certainly one reason so many Catholics get elated at seeing "images of the Virgin" in every which odd place: for them it brings the miraculous (i.e., God) close. TE says God is close, but it only asserts that; it brings no evidence to bear. ID makes God closer for believers by claiming to detect the designer's fingerprints. Hence ID satisfies a human need that TE does not. (My view: Those who look for God in his fingerprints are looking in the wrong place; but those who already know God do well to behold and marvel at the ways he expresses himself in his world.)

The fundamental problem with ID as science is that it attempts to draw lines that separate purely natural events from designed events. Science makes progress ordinarily only by assuming the existence of natural explanations and then working to find them. Even if there are designed events, it's hard to see how science would benefit from considering them so unless they were readily and by common consent identifiable as designed events. Obviously they are not. So science may err on the side of assuming there are no such things, but science as science can only benefit from such assumption. It's the scientific method, not history, that's at issue here. History has a role in that it attests to the value of that scientific method.

My view: There are likely designed events. I believe so because of the extreme complexity of biological systems and my inability to detect anything in the physical world that seems remotely able to give rise to such systems without external input. Furthermore, my recognition of God's closeness to and interaction with his world leads me to believe he has always been similarly close and interacting. At the same time I also firmly believe that God intended for his world to develop as independently of him as possible. Those (superficially conflicting) beliefs lead me to expect God to have participated regularly in explicit shaping of his creatures at points when they ran into special difficulties--that is, when they were unable on their own to take the creation in the desired direction. Thus, ID as an aspect of God's mode of creation is, along with natural selection, believable to me and, while I don't think ID should be taught as science--at least not unless or until ID investigators can make a real scientific case for themselves, I'm one of those ID sympathizers that Ted Davis referred to.

Don