Re: Question for ID propopents--the demarcation question

From: Ted Davis <tdavis@messiah.edu>
Date: Wed Nov 02 2005 - 14:51:04 EST

>>> "Michael Roberts" <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk> 11/02/05 2:04 PM
>>>writes:

Here's an interesting quotation from my favourite evangelical scientist.

To the supreme Intelligence, indeed, all the complex and mutable
combinations we behold, may be the necessary results of some simple law,
regulating every material change, and involving within itself the very
complications, which we, in our ignorance, regard as interruptions in the
continuity of Nature's work.

Any suggestions who it is?

***

Ted will hazard a few guesses, in the spirit of this game. It sounds like
Kingsley, but he wasn't a scientist. It also sounds a bit Victorian, but
I'd like so see more before committing myself to that; if so, it's more
likely late Victorian, after Babbage if not Babbage himself (who wasn't late
Victorian). Also sounds a bit like Robert Chambers, but he wasn't a
scientist nor an evangelical.

(1) Charles Babbage?

(2) William Dallinger (more likely, I think)

Ted