Re: Question for ID propopents--the demarcation question

From: Ted Davis <tdavis@messiah.edu>
Date: Wed Nov 02 2005 - 12:33:54 EST

>>> "Robert Schneider" <rjschn39@bellsouth.net> 11/02/05 9:56 AM >>>writes:

it is this kind of strategy that creates a problem for the ID movement,
because when YECs tout ID arguments against "Darwinism," they are doing
exactly what will convince mainstream scientists that ID is a form of the
kind of creationnism they detest. While this may be a partnership of
convenience (of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" sort) from which the
YECs gain much, it cannot help ID at all in the world of science. I wonder
if Dembski has really thought through the implications of this pas-de-deux.

Ted replies:
I agree with Bob's comments. I am responding in order to answer the
implied question at the end: has Dembski thought this through?

I have directly asked several IDs about this--Phil Johnson, Bill Dembski,
some others. Here is their consistent response: Yes, we have thought this
through. We have tried to find allies among the TEs, and they have let us
down--which greatly disappoints us. Thus, we've had to turn in the other
direction. Why weren't you TEs (they rightly include me with the group of
TEs who have not been persuaded to join the ID movement) more supportive?
Don't you agree with us about the backruptcy of materialism? Why won't you
help us make the case for design?

They've pretty much washed their hands and moved on. Their number one goal
is cultural transformation, and Christans like me who think that you can't
get there from "irreducible complexity" are a great disappointment to them.
At least they aren't angry personally with me, b/c I do my best (at least I
think I do my best, and they often agree with this assessment) to present ID
as fairly as I can and to defend what I believe are fair questions being
asked by ID. Some others in the TE camp, however, really get their dander
up. I'm not going to fill in the blanks.

In the politics of science, the politics tends to dominate the science. It
works both ways.

ted