Re: Bill Buckingham testifies in Dover...

From: janice matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed Nov 02 2005 - 10:52:02 EST

At 08:58 AM 11/2/2005, Ted Davis wrote:

>"When the whole argument is about whether or not the a priori restriction
>against intelligence is appropriate, then it isn't an answer just to say
>that intelligence isn't the answer--but that's the answer a lot of
>scientists will give. ..."

### Exactly.

"God couldn't have done it" is a premise fit for an extremist.

Yet that same extremist will make fun of the one who says, "God must have
done it".

>"At the same time, I agree with the point (very, very often made) that ID
>is banking on future ignorance of mechanistic causes. I have enough faith
>in the rationality of the universe and the creator, and in the limited
>knowledge of creatures, to believe that there will *always* be
>opportunities for creatures to learn more about the creation, while at the
>same time I
>believe that there will *always* be some things that we will just never
>know, b/c God did them in ways that utterly transcend our ability to know.
>If the creation of complexity in biological systems is one of those things
>(as it might be), then ID is the right answer. If not, then it isn't. I
>doubt we'll ever know." ~ Ted

### There is one reality and God knows it in its entirety, as it exists
by, through, and for Him. God is neither surprised by the way the world
works itself out, nor shocked by the choices we make.

His ways are so other than our ways that we cannot predict Him, categorize
Him, or comprehend Him with any sort of accuracy.

<http://www.blueletterbible.org/faq//kjv/Act/Act015.html#18>Acts 15:18
"Known to God from all eternity are all His works."

<http://www.blueletterbible.org/faq//kjv/Rom/Rom011.html#33>Romans 11:33
Oh the depth of His riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How
unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out!

<http://www.blueletterbible.org/faq//kjv/Job/Job011.html#7>Job 11:7-9 Can
you search out deep things of God? Can you find out the limits of the
Almighty? They are higher than heaven - what can you do? Deeper than Sheol
- what can you know? ...

<http://www.blueletterbible.org/faq//kjv/Jer/Jer023.html#23>Jeremiah
23:23-24 "Do I not fill heaven and earth?" says the LORD.

<http://www.blueletterbible.org/faq//kjv/Psa/Psa090.html#1>Psalm 90:1-2
"...Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever You had formed the
earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God.

Etc., etc. http://www.blueletterbible.org/faq/attributes.html

What sort of "scientist" wants to be among the extremists who hold to the a
priori restriction, "God couldn't have done it".

They are the ones responsible for putting the face on evolution. When
Scientists use the "public relations" services of atheists like Eugenie
Scott they cannot complain about the resulting public perception of
what "science" is all about.

Tip of the iceberg:

http://www.csicop.org/events/feminism.html Rational Feminism Explores: The
Gender Politics of Science
Speaker EUGENIE C. SCOTT - a physical anthropologist, the director of the
National Center for Science Education and a fellow of CSICOP. University
of Colorado Boulder, Colorado June 6-7, 1997

Eugenie C. Scott speaks to the Atheist Coalition of San Diego

"....The second major point was the nature of science and viewing it as a
way of explaining natural behavior in a natural world via natural causes.
She [Eugenie Scott] stressed a distinction between Methodological
Materialism (the idea that the behavior of nature is not arbitrary) and
Philosophical Materialism. She advocated for the teaching of Methodological
Materialism in schools, that is the scientific method, which would include
evolution as the best and only operative theory for the origin of species
and life. Philosophical Materialism, basically monism (the belief that
"stuff' is made of one thing and there is no supernatural), is her personal
belief but not a component of science or science education. Agnostic,
Humanist and Atheistic beliefs are classical Philosophical Materialism
beliefs. (Personally I am a dubious monist. Atheism is clearly the
operative assumption but one wonders what the nature of consciousness is.)
.... As an atheist through almost all of high school, I interpreted more
hostility from the pledge of allegiance than from actions by any priest on
the faculty. ..." ~ Reviewer

~ Janice