RE: It's the Bible or evolution

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@verizon.net>
Date: Fri Sep 30 2005 - 11:56:42 EDT

Dick wrote:

Some aspects of evolutionary theory can be considered "facts," descent
with
modification, genetic drift, the molecular clock. Some aspects can be
considered simply theory such as whether genetic changes are totally
random
or can be affected by environmental factors (that gets my vote). And
some
aspects of the total picture of evolutionary thought could be called
conjecture such as Darwin's idea that change was continuous and gradual
versus Gould who adhered to punctuated equilibrium (my favorite too).

Unfortunately, we all take shortcuts and just say "evolution," which is
such
a wide and encompassing term that you could say almost anything for or
against and get a chorus of amens.

Cornelius wrote:

Dick, no one is making this confusion. Of course evolution has sub
theories
that are not claimed to be facts. But the overarching idea, that
naturalistic processes are sufficient to explain all the species, is
essentially universally claimed to be a fact.

You can always posit another source for speciation - gremlins, space
aliens, demons, angels, an unnamed, disembodied, intelligent designer,
etc. But the burden is on you to make your case. Otherwise, natural
causation is universally assumed in all matters involving nature. What
you call it is up to you. I prefer to think of it as an accepted
scientific theory, or a paradigm that will continue to be accepted
unless someone discovers counter evidence sufficient to overturn it.
Whether it is a "fact" or not lies more in the realm of semantics.

Let me inject a headline here:
HONG KONG, China (Reuters) -- A strain of the H5N1 bird flu virus that
may unleash the next global flu pandemic is showing resistance to
Tamiflu, the antiviral drug that countries around the world are now
stockpiling to fend off the looming threat.
At this point we don't know whether the human strain of bird flu will
mutate to become an airborne disease as it is with birds or not. If it
does and a goodly portion of the world's humanity is wiped out, would
you think that such a deadly mutation was the result of a concious act
of an intelligent designer?

www.genesisproclaimed.org