Re: It's the Bible or evolution

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Fri Sep 30 2005 - 10:58:39 EDT

The basic problems with most discussions of what God could or couldn't do is
that they depend on preconceptions about God which have little to do with
the Christian belief that God is the Holy Trinity whose character is
revealed most fully in Jesus Christ. & this is true also of Christians who
believe in the Trinity because they think that they can talk about God as
creator before they get to christology.

The basic point that I have tried to insist on in all these discussions - to
the extent that some here may be quite tired of it - is that we can speak
responsibly about how God might or might not act in the world only if we
take seriously the way in which God has acted in Christ, & specifically in
the event of the cross. & if God chose to limit himself there, if God's
activity there is hidden, then we should not be surprised (though we cannot
insist upon this) if God limits himself & is hidden in his work in the world
generally. If God "did not spare his own Son" then we should not expect him
to be some kind of efficiency expert in his actions in the world.

I agree with Ted's endorsement of (1) below but the language about God being
"higher than us," while certainly true in one sense, is misleading. The
cross shows that God is willing also to be _lower_ than us. The idea that
we can find God by looking for the highest, most glorious, most exalted, &c
aspects of reality is a common notion but it becomes very quickly just the
construction of the kind of deity we would like to be. The true God has to
be recognized first in the one who took the form of a slave.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/