Re: It's the Bible or evolution

From: Ted Davis <tdavis@messiah.edu>
Date: Fri Sep 30 2005 - 08:49:16 EDT

>>> "Randy Isaac" <randyisaac@adelphia.net> 09/29/05 9:04 PM >>>writes:
I always cringe when I hear an argument about what a designer or creator
would have or would not have done. We can hardly presume to know what
reasons a creator might have or whether something was done without any
reason at all.

Ted replies:
Cornelius makes the same point--indeed, it's a central point to his whole
approach.

Darwin on the other hand, when he compared evolution with special creation
in the final chapter of the Origin of Species (it's worth rereading, if
anyone hasn't read it recently), has to make some assumptions about what
sorts of things would favor creation over evolution, and vice versa--in
order actually to do a comparison of the two views.

I'm sympathetic with Randy and Cornelius, but then the only recourse is to
say this.

(1) We can't make any assumptions about what a creator would/would not have
done relative to making creatures.

(2) Thus, anything we find is consistent with special creation.

(3) Thus, special creation is wholly untestable.

(4) Thus, we can *never* put special creation on the same level with
evolution--that is, we can *never* consider it as an alternative scientific
explanation of the same data.

Special creation then becomes entirely and only a faith position, emptied of
content for purposes of comparing it with an alternative view to account for
data.

Is something wrong with the reasoning above? Is it perhaps (2) or (3) or
(4)? Or the links between them? If so, I don't see it.

My own voluntarist theology leads me to like (1). I don't like to put
rational restrictions on God, I think God is higher than us and does what
God wants to do. I've often argued for this, and I think that view of God
was crucially important for the formation of the modern scientific
enterprise in the first place. But I am unwilling to push it this far, so
that it becomes impossible to draw observable consequences from the claim
that special creation is true/false vis-a-vis evolution.

Ted