Re: It's the Bible or evolution

From: Terry M. Gray <grayt@lamar.colostate.edu>
Date: Thu Sep 29 2005 - 22:46:47 EDT

> Terry, you wrote:
>
> --------------
> If so, then what does such divine action look like empirically? In
> the fossil record, in the genetic record, etc?
> --------------
>
> How about a code?

A bit cryptic there. Are you talking about the genetic code? So, are
you saying that the genetic code is not evolvable? And that its
existence undermines all the other arguments for common ancestry
(that's what I mean by evolution, in case it's not clear)? And is
this "simply" a negative argument? I can't explain the origin of the
code so therefore it's "special" divine action. Or do you have a
positive argument based on the existence of the code? We know somehow
that codes come about only by intelligent agents. Etc.

For what it's worth, since the genetic code is more or less identical
across all organism (see my discussion of exceptions in the chapter
in Perspectives on an Evolving Creation), this doesn't seem to get
you very far. Suppose I'm willing to say that God "specially created"
the genetic code at the outset of life. Don't forget, I fully believe
that divine action is always at work. (Although I have to say that
I'm not sure I can tell the difference between "ordinary" divine
action and "extraordinary" divine action, miracle, or whatever you
want to call it, when it comes to things like the origin of the
genetic code.)

What other sorts of special, "non-natural" divine action can you
point to?

TG