RE: It's the Bible or evolution

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@verizon.net>
Date: Thu Sep 29 2005 - 14:00:59 EDT

Cornelius wrote:

And why is evolution a fact?

Some aspects of evolutionary theory can be considered "facts," descent
with modification, genetic drift, the molecular clock. Some aspects can
be considered simply theory such as whether genetic changes are totally
random or can be affected by environmental factors (that gets my vote).
And some aspects of the total picture of evolutionary thought could be
called conjecture such as Darwin's idea that change was continuous and
gradual versus Gould who adhered to punctuated equilibrium (my favorite
too).

Unfortunately, we all take shortcuts and just say "evolution," which is
such a wide and encompassing term that you could say almost anything for
or against and get a chorus of amens.

www.genesisproclaimed.org