Re: It's the Bible or evolution

From: Jim Armstrong <jarmstro@qwest.net>
Date: Thu Sep 29 2005 - 12:33:49 EDT

Re: "...the idea that the search is not random is non evolutionary."
 Ah, but is this not precisely where the elegance of the selection
process manifests? The process of "exploration" does not proceed
randomly in any mathematical sense. With each extension into the space,
the conditions of the evolutionary " exploration" change. Some paths may
simply form the foundation for a subsequent evolutionary extension (the
basic algorithm for eventually exploring the entire space). But
selection (testing), when and in whatever form it may impose itself,
alters that algorithm profoundly. The selection action is in itself
virtually cannot be random because its affect is shaped by the
particular circumstance - the configuration of the DNA and its contexts,
both structurally and ambient.

A substantially deficient result places that particular development path
at risk or even results in its termination. On the other hand, a
substantially advantageous result outcompetes one or more of less
beneficial (whatever that might mean) alternatives from the same branch
point. The whole calculus of outcomes is also very dependent upon
whether there is a single or many similarly satisfactory (in the eyes of
the Creator) courses of action and outcomes.

All of this is precisely the means by which that the entire space need
not be explored at all, and in fact may be continuing to be explored
because the potential of the space has not necessarily been exhausted.

-JimA