Re: It's the Bible or evolution

From: Cornelius Hunter <ghunter2099@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu Sep 29 2005 - 11:41:35 EDT

Randy:

Your descriptions below are nice and symmetric, but I think there is more to
the story. For instance, if TE is not breaking the link between God and
creation, and God can accomplish his will via the evolutionary process, then
why must the detection of divine action be out of bounds? And why is
evoluiton a fact? I would be delighted if this were merely a
misunderstanding, and if I am guilty of imposing a particular view of what
"evolution" means.

We discussed the problem of evolution searching the DNA space and creating
new species. You mentioned that it is probably likely that this would
happen, with the justification that "We certainly know that the full design
space doesn't need to be tested and that any such 'testing' is not at
random."

Actually, the idea that the full design space need not be searched is weak,
and the idea that the search is not random is non evolutionary. The only way
I know that the full design space would not need to be searched would be if
that space was largely filled with useful, functioning designs. But this
clearly is not the case. It certainly is true that there is flexibility in
known genomes. One can make all sorts of changes and still have a
functioning genome. But this should not be confused with any idea that
functioning genomes are common in the DNA space. Quite the opposite. The
bottom line is a search through the DNA space would have to cover the
majority of the space before obtaining appreciable probabilities of hitting
on functioning genomes.

--Cornelius