RE: It's the Bible or evolution

From: Freeman, Louise Margaret <lfreeman@mbc.edu>
Date: Tue Sep 27 2005 - 16:09:36 EDT

I'll be the first to admit that I know little of quantum mechanics, but I
don't see that that is especially relevant to dice-throwing. If a student
throws 4 dice and I tell her that the probabity of getting 4 6's is
.0007716, how does that indicate my degree of ignorance?

Of course, I am entirely ignorant of how any one roll will turn out, unless
I care to calculate force on the dice, speed of rotation, distance to the
floor and many other variables too numerous for me or any one else to count
(if I could, I'd be in Vegas making my fortune at the craps tables.)

But when I have my class do this 800 times, and we look at the frequency
distribution of the means of each roll, we get a normally distributed bell
curve with a mean of almost exactly 3.5 and a standard deviation of 0.86.
Almost exactly what central limit theorem and the laws of probability
predict. The theory also predicts that the more we thrown, the closer to
these calculated means and standard deviations we would get. The perectly
fitting curve will only appear with an infinite number of throws.

I don't think God is banished from my classroom during this exercise. On
the contrary, I believe he provided this law of probability that helps me
predict what will happen. If the dice throws are not genuinely random, they
do a pretty good job of faking it.