RE: It's the Bible or evolution

From: Alexanian, Moorad <alexanian@uncw.edu>
Date: Tue Sep 27 2005 - 14:55:25 EDT

I am not sure if any process in nature is truly random. If you have a
deterministic system, then there is nothing random except one's
ignorance of the details. For instance, when the weatherman says there
is a 30% chance of rain, he is indicating his degree of ignorance rather
than any random mechanisms in nature. It is only when one brings in
indeterminism, as in quantum mechanics, one can truly talk about
probabilities even when one has maximal knowledge of the system in
question. However, in such cases one must have the dynamics that gives
rise to not only the possible outcomes but also their corresponding
probabilities. Deterministic chaos still corresponds to our ignorance in
how to calculate exact results from systems that are truly
deterministic.

Moorad